[WBEL-devel] Re: [WBEL-users] Question about RHEL Licensing

joliver@joliver.net joliver@joliver.net
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 07:19:29 -0500 (EST)

>> The way I understand the RHEL licensing is that you can install the
>> purchased software on as many machines as you want.  The license only
>> applies to the updates from RHN in binary form and support for the
>> registered software.
>
> As _RHEL_, no that's not true. If you take the RHEL CDs and install them
> as-is, you're violating the licence.

I agree. Because the RHEL cd's contain trademarked redhat artwork and
logos that are not GPL'ed.

> You can copy the software, as you pointed out, but then it's not Red Hat
> Enterprise Linux anymore, which is what Red Hat wants.
>
> Of course, if you make a copy of the CD with legal images, you become
> legal (which is the whole point behind Whitebox).

My only point is that you could create drop in replacements for the non
GPL'ed items and respin the iso without having to rebuild the entire
system.  You can also freely redistribute binary RPM's with an apt
repository as long as you excluded the non GPL'ed items.