[WBEL-users] intro

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark@trueposition.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:36:14 -0500

Hello,

Glad to see the new mailing lists and the effort at building some community
around this distribution.

I'm the head Linux guy at $WORK and, like many people here, have been left
scrambling for an alternative to Red Hat Linux.  We're running Red Hat Linux
9 very happily, and I'm not thrilled with the direction Fedora is going in.
Without expounding on that, I'm looking for a distribution that meets the
following requirements:

	* Free as in "Free Speech"
	* Free as in "Free Beer"
	* Stable
	* Long life cycle (2 years is enough, 3 would be awesome).
	* RPM-based (to work with existing automation infrastructure we have
in place)

Some of you may recognize me from the cAos lists.  I have been actively
helping to build community in that distro.  I'm very interested in their
Enterprise Linux offering, not terribly interested in their GP offering.  In
either case, here at the office anyway I need to pitch an alternative to the
chiefs pretty quickly.  I'm setting up a bunch of demo boxes for the Linux
users here to try out, all running different distros.  I intend to set up a
White Box demo system for them to play with.  There is currently no public
release of cAos to demo.

Magnus Hedemark
Linux Network Admin
TruePosition, Inc.