[WBEL-users] Question regarding restore...

Mehmet Ekiz ekizm@tbmm.gov.tr
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 08:59:15 +0300

Joe Brouhard wrote:
> For the first time in my life, I'm stumped with a backup.  LOL.
>
> Anyway, here's the scenario:
>
> I'm attempting to build some sort of robust backup network for our 10-some
> linux servers (varing in version numbers from RH 7.3 to 9.0).  The backup
> script works, and it does full backups.  i'm certain of that.
>
> However, it's the restore proceedure that I'm stuck on.
>
> Here's what I have thus far:
> 1) Install Redhat from scratch, using a very bare minimum install.
> 2) boot into the new redhat system.  download the tarball that contains
> the dump files.
> 3) extract dump files
> 4) CD to / and then run restore -rf /path/to/dump file
>
> However, i keep seeing "file exists." all over my screen.  I'm pretty sure
> this is caused when restore is not copying the files to disk cause the
> file already exists...
>
> Someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong here.  I've read the
> Restore man page, and it's more or less telling me to mount the disk in
> anothe drive... not something i'm particularily interested in right now.
>
> I can use the knoppix CD I have here, if need be.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Try restore -ruf /path/to/dump file in 4th step.
from the man page of restore:
"When  creating  certain  types  of files, restore may generate a
          warning diagnostic if they already exist in  the  target
directory. To  prevent this, the -u (unlink) flag causes restore to
remove old entries before attempting to create new ones."
Best Regards,
Mehmet Ekiz