[WBEL-users] dup2 bad file descriptor--why??

Simone simone72@email.it
Sun, 4 Apr 2004 20:15:01 +0200

Hi list, came back to work on SUNDAY!!! to finish moving all datas from the
old win2k server to new WBL-Samba3 server. I left friday evening while the
sever was copying a part of the datas. Today I found that part was finished
and I started copying another 20 Gb, but I got a strange error " cannot
create directory - read only ".  Desperation. I'm not so experienced in
linux, so even understanding what it was saying i couldn't have a clue on
why this happened. Decided to remount the partition i have datas on, and
still got the problem. Then rebooted and I got the error in the subject:
dup2 bad file descriptor........completely desperate.......Then after a
while trying to understand what caused it, I finally googled into this
message:

> My previous experience with "dup2 bad file descriptor" messages at boot
> suggests that something has botched up /dev/null, turning it into a
> regular file.
>
> If you manage to get to single user mode and issue the commands
>
>  rm -f /dev/null
>  mknod -m 0666 /dev/null c 1 3
>
> you've solved the problem.

That's true, I solved the problem, but why? this is making me crazy, what
"botched up /dev/null, turning it into a regular file."  ????

This is scaring me, can things just happen this way? When I left everything
was ok, nothing edited or moved......just the PDC win2k crashed  :-)
.....but that's nothing I think could compromise a Linux box (I only have
samba authentication through krb and ads).
Now I'm in the long and tedious process of reconstructing the arrays (200gb
ata100 - 300min is it normal??).

If anyone could please light a candle in my darkness (is this dramatic
enough?) I would really appreciate, since this is making me mad.

Thanks a lot for your time
Simone

---