[WBEL-users] Re: RAID using Highpoint hpt37x

Thrift Internet Service thrift@thriftinternet.com
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:14:22 -0700

That is correct, you are frozen on one kernel once you install the Highpoint
driver. It is the same situation with Promise RAID chips. I wish there was
an alternative, but I no longer have confidence in Linux software RAID.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Keith Morse" <kgmorse@mpcu.com>
To: "Thrift Internet Service" <thrift@thriftinternet.com>
Cc: <whitebox-users@beau.org>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2004 5:12 PM
Subject: Re: RAID using Highpoint hpt37x

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Thrift Internet Service wrote:
>
> > I have installed WBEL and am 'kicking the tires'. So far it looks very
good. I'll be testing the machine for use as a RADIUS authentication & email
server in actual production soon.

> > One thing I insist on in my servers is hardware RAID, and I have
standardized on the Highpoint hpt372 chip. The Highpoint driver worked fine
for RH 8 & 9, but it doesn't work at all for WBEL.

> > I was on the phone with Highpoint support this morning and was told that
the RH9 driver is not compatible with the RHEL3 kernel. They expect to
release a RHEL3 compatible driver very soon, perhaps as early as this week.
That driver should work fine with WBEL.