[WBEL-users] RAID using Highpoint hpt37x

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree@vanree.net
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 17:26:09 +0000

On Monday 05 April 2004 20:04, Thrift Internet Service wrote:
> I have installed WBEL and am 'kicking the tires'. So far it looks very
> good. I'll be testing the machine for use as a RADIUS authentication &
> email server in actual production soon.
>
> One thing I insist on in my servers is hardware RAID, and I have
> standardized on the Highpoint hpt372 chip. The Highpoint driver worked
> fine for RH 8 & 9, but it doesn't work at all for WBEL.

First of all the HPT372 controller isn't truely a hardware RAID solution.
Part of the RAID is done in software, eating CPU cycles.

I have a board with the Promise Fasttrack100 chipset, also not fully
hardware RAID. What I've done is use the ports as "standard" IDE ports
(which should still work in Whitebox, add the IDE2=xxxx and IDE3=xxx
options as per the IDE HOWTO) and used software RAID. I doubt you'll see
much performance difference. Over here it works like a champ in RAID1
--
Jan-Albert van Ree        | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanReeDotNet IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net