[WBEL-users] What do you think?

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 7 Apr 2004 12:17:04 -0500

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 05:51:33AM -0700, scty Library wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am new to Whitebox.  I am experimenting with it and
> looking for an alternative to RHE for use in a public
> library.  We have been running RH for 4years so we do
> have some experience.  I would like to know what
> people think of WB.

I'm new around here, but I've been using WhiteBox for the better
part of two weeks as my desktop OS.  I've been doing automated
installs for servers we are building for a couple of months.

Couldn't be happier.  It's quick, and easy.  It's just like RedHat
8/9 in my experience.  I haven't come across any show stoppers.

Having every public mirror besides the primary (and incredibly slow)
mirror corrupted the day I did my desktop install was really
annoying, however, the problem appeared to work itself out.  Once I
get more machines converted over, I'll just rebuild my own yum
headers (right now my private mirror doesn't have yum-arch installed,
so I can't just yet).

> Another question I have is that when I installed WB
> Linux , I noticed that the fonts where not as nice as
> RH9.  Did I do something wrong or is there something I
> have to still do.  I have check to see that I am using
> the best shapes and I am.

I have had minor problems with fonts, but not the default ones that
are installed.  I've tried to do an build from SRPMS for
msttcorefonts-1.3-4.  That's a package available from Sourceforge.

When I build the RPM's from the spec file that works.  When I try
and install that RPM on the same machine, it crashes RPM in various
nasty ways.  I gave up trying to figure it out.  I pulled an old RPM
I used to put it on a RedHat 9.0 box (built on a 9.0 box), and that
worked just fine.  It's against the license to distribute the RPM's,
otherwise I'd just post it for you.

What app(s) are you having problems with the fonts?  What
language/typeface are you using?

	Thanks,
		Kirby