[WBEL-users] Kernel 2.6

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 09:29:32 -0400

Simone wrote:
> Hi, anyone tryied compiling kernel 2.6 from source?
> I just ended in a kernel panic, no init found, still to examine the
> cause. Just wanted to know if anyone succeded and if there are real
> advantages in doing it (I am just playing on a test machine). Red on the
> red hat site, that the kernel 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL has already most of the
> new features of 2.6, am I wrong?

The balance on WBEL is 'stable' rather than cutting edge. There are some
of the features of 2.6 in the EL kernel, but not all. I have been
running built kernels since about 2.5.38, and I'm writing on 2.6.5 now,
about to build the latest -aa version.

I suggest you subscribe to lkml or read it on google, and pull your
kernel source from ftp.us.kernel.org rather than redhat, just because I
know those kernels work. There is someone at redhat doing a 2.6 kernel,
I don't know if it's standard or has extra features.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)