[WBEL-users] Postfix or Sendmail

Eric B. ebenze@hotmail.com
Fri, 9 Apr 2004 10:38:47 -0400

I researched both Sendmail and Postfix about 6 years ago and at the time had
come to the conclusion that Postfix was better designed against hacking
since it would not give a hacker access to root if it was cracked.  I liked
the dual processing used for mail handling; on daemon running as non-root in
its own little world that hands off the mail to another process that is
internal only.  So if anyone managed to hack the external daemon, it would
only get to the non-root chroot world of the system.

However, this opinion is over 6 years old.  I too and examining them both
now as I need to install new servers and need to find something for email.
>From my understanding (although I haven't done a whole lot of research
recently), Sendmail has fixed all these security issues by making it more
Postfix like and by running it as a non root process.  Someone can correct
me if I am mistaken.  One of the things I like about Sendmail is that I
quickly found a patch to allow it to store it's email in a DB - something I
plan to do as I expect it to be easier to handle data replication and
clustering using MySQL clustering (being released April 14).  I haven't
found anything that will allow me to hook Postfix into a DB.

Additionally, with a quick persual of the net, I quickly found AV and
anti-spam solutions for Sendmail, but not as easily for Postfix.  Again,
perhaps I am just looking in the wrong section.

As for which is easier to administer?  I personally feel that Postfix is
somewhat more straightforward, although Sendmail has become much easier
recently thanks to tools like Webmin.  Configuring Sendmail from the M4
files used to be a pain in the ass.....

In a nutshell, I am personally leaning towards Sendmail right now only
because it is much easier to find addons, and a DB connector for it, and am
experimenting with it right now.  Would love to hear someone tell me that I
can find the same things for Postfix though.

Eric

I know Sendmail in the past had major weaknesses with attacks being able to
compr