[WBEL-users] Fonts

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Fri, 09 Apr 2004 13:54:13 -0400

My experience with Whitebox is that it includes the same fonts as redhat
9 and the BlueCurve theme; however, what I do on all linux distros that
don't include ttf-bitstream-vera-1.10 is this.

Go to this location on the gnome website:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/ttf-bitstream-vera/1.10/

then download either the .gz or .bz2 file and untar it with the command:

tar -xvzf xxxx.tar.gz

or

tar -xvjf xxxx.tar.bz2

then move the directory named ttf-bitstream-vera-1.10 to
/usr/share/fonts like this:

mv ttf-bitstream-vera-1.10 /usr/share/fonts/

then run the command:

fc-cache

Now you should be able to assign the fonts:

Bitstream Vera Sans
Bitstream Vera Sans Mono
Bitstream Vera Serif

Those fonts are (in my opinion) much better.  I use Sans for just about
everything...and Sans Mono for my Terminal Font.  You can pick the fonts
you want to use (in gnome for different things) by going to:

  Menu - Preferences - Font

I also assign the Bitstream Vera fonts inside mozilla or FireFox as my
default fonts.

- Johnny Hughes