[WBEL-users] yum down and website?

John Morris jmorris@beau.org
Sun, 11 Apr 2004 17:36:12 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Rob Freeman wrote:

> I tried going to http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/ and got a page can not be
> displayed error, and my yum is timing out.  Is the site down?

Yup, we were down all of Fri afternoon.  The good news is that we are
eating a LOT more dogfood now.  Our primary server successfully
transferred into a new machine AND upgraded from RH7.3 to WBEL3 in one
afternoon.  Still hammering out some glitches, like why the primary WBEL
mirror didn't NFS mount on boot like it should have, etc....  but it is up
and running as our primary 'everything' server.  It is currently handling:

Apache for several domains (whiteboxlinux.org is the busiest)
inbound and outbound email for a few hundred active users
ftp
primary DNS for several domains
RADIUS for two dozen dialups
NIS/NFS for a lab full of patron machines
NTP
DHCP server for our whole system (staff & patron nets)
print server
etc.

This is why I no longer have the dual Xeon box to build on, it has finally
went into the service it was originally bought for.  It has certainly made
everything much faster than the Gateway (ALR) PII-300 machine it replaced.
Of course we recycle everything around here.  Next step is for the cow box
to be loaded up with WBEL and go into service replacing the generic
Pentium 150 currently serving as our squid proxy.

And no, the P-150 isn't even our slowest machine.  We actually have a Sun
IPX in production use and have no intention of replacing it since it does
the job given to it perfectly.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris        This post is 100% M$ Free!