[WBEL-users] Yum sources for latest software

Sun, 11 Apr 2004 20:56:06 -0500

On Sun, 2004-04-11 at 16:36, Trey Sizemore wrote:
> I've just recently installed WBEL and notice that YUM is the default
> package manager.  I haven't used it before and was wondering if someone
> would point me to one or more repositories for yum.conf that would
> contain some of the latest packages for KDE, Gnome (2.6), etc.

WBEL is a rebuild of RHEL 3 ... which has Gnome 2.4.  I don't think RHEL
3 will ever upgrade to Gnome 2.6 or upgrade KDE to 3.2 ... they will
only add security/bug fixes to the current tree...so WBEL 3 will remain
true to RHEL 3.

There may be newer versions of Gnome and KDE produced by some users ...
but not for the offical WBEL 3.  The whole purpose of WBEL is to provide
a stable (bugfixes/security updates only) enterprise distro for the next
4-5 years.

If you are looking for a workstation distro that updates to newer items,
WBEL is probably not the distro you want .... but a distro like Fedora
Core, Gentoo, Debain SID, etc. is more what you want.

As for security updates for WBEL, here is my yum.conf

http://www.hughesjr.com/WBEL/yum.conf.txt

There is an apt repository for RHEL 3 at dag weeir's site:

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/

- Johnny Hughes