[WBEL-users] Installation

Manley, Johnny JManley@miswaco.com
Thu, 15 Apr 2004 08:04:48 -0500

Wasn't there a flavor or two of UNIX (HP-UX, DG/UX, AIX, Solaris...)
having an auto-login feature for root? Although for obvious reasons it
was never really popular, especially in production environments.

Tim, if you're not familiar with the UNIX/Linux culture; authentication,
the concept of roles and permissions hierarchy has always been a
feature. You will most likely find yourself "logging in" or at least
"su"-ing (switch user command) quite a bit. The command line is the
preferred interface for a lot of veterans. While the command line is not
very intuitive or contextual (like a GUI), it can be far, far more
flexible and surgically precise. Two of the most common problems you
will encounter in your Linux adventures are permissions and pathing.

I've been working with UNIX for a long time but I am having problems
with Whitebox vsftpd (ftp service) because unlike Windows there is
usually more than one switch, knob and button to turn something on in
Linux (UNIX) and getting it to work the way you are accustomed to in the
Windows world. I'm trying to decipher man pages for PAM and Kerberos and
all I want to do is FTP a few files and NOT use "anonymous" for a login.

The same applies to the network stuff, lots of configuration files and
very terse explanations of what does what and what settings are
dependent on what other settings in other files. E.g. /etc/hosts,
/etc/passwd, /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/vsftpd.conf, /etc/init.d, /etc...
/etc... /etc... /etc...

IMHO (and loosely based on fact), this O/S grew out of a 60's
engineering culture and will never be a seamless replacement for or work
exactly like (THANK GOD!) Windows O/Ss (80's yuppie culture?).
Installations for many Linux software products are still very cryptic
and terse, and they don't always (seldom?) put an icon in the menu or on
the desktop (veterans prefer to manually edit desktop configuration
files... go figure!). Step-by-step instructions seldom work exactly as
misprinted and most of the time, but not always, reference some obscure
"package" dependency that takes you down a whole new path (no pun
intended) of learning to muddle through before you can get back to your
original quest. The word template in the Linux dictionary does not share
the same definition as "template" in Uncle Billy's Windows Dictionary.
In Linux a template is something YOU create to be unique and hopefully
save time in the future; in Windows it's something that was created FOR
YOU to accelerate and flatten the time to functionality curve.

Oh, the best way to avoid logging in (IMHO again) is to leave the
machine on and logged in. Unlike Windows, it won't mind. Get another box
and a KVM switch and maybe forego the dual boot thing. Both O/Ss will
probably be happier.

Good luck and enjoy,
Johnny Manley.