[WBEL-users] Version Questions

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:48:02 -0500

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 03:13:00PM -0500, Who Knows wrote:
> 1. What versions of apache, mysql, php are used for WEBL 3.0 ?

I hate to encourge people asking questions they can easily answer
for themselves.  You can easily answer this by judicious use of the
search function of your favorite web browser, on this URL:

http://www.geekstyle.net/white_box/3.0/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS
(This is just a random mirror I pulled from the downloads page).

Assuming you don't know the primary package names, here are the
answers:

Apache: httpd-2.0.46-25.ent.WB1.i386.rpm
MySQL:  mysql-3.23.58-1.i386.rpm
PHP:    php-4.3.2-8.ent.i386.rpm

Those are what you'll get off of the ISO images.  There are probably
security upgrades for all three.

> 2. Are rpms available for mysql 4.x, php 5.x, apache ??x.

	I'm highly doubtful.  RedHat is pretty conservative about
changing major subsystems inside of a stable release.  I believe
it'd run counter to WhiteBox Linux's goals to package and release
packages that aren't from the RHEL 3.0 SRPMS.  Because I don't
believe RedHat will release them, I don't think they will become a
part of WhiteBox 3.0.  Wait around for RedHat 4.0, which I'm pretty
sure will have a WhiteBox 4.0 release from the same source packages.
That will probably have the upgrades you want.

	You can easily build them yourself (if it breaks you get to keep
the pieces)... *grin*.

	Thanks,
		Kirby