[WBEL-users] WB crash and Dell OMSA

Daniel T. Gynn dan.gynn@essensys.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 13:22:23 -0400

--=-LePMt0hZWIzihNeqiYUo

I haven't installed the OMSA on WhiteBox yet, but we have several Dell
2600 and 2650's.  Of late we have had quite a bit of hardware problems
with them.  Just this year we've had two motherboards and a processor go
bad.  The processor especially was hard to diagnose.  The server seemed
be running fine and then kapow!, kernel core dump to the screen/lock
up.  I finally tracked it down to being able to recreate it by causing
large I/O.  I finally figured out that it would only happen w/ the SMP
kernel and called Dell to replace the processor.  Since then that one
has been fine.=20

So, I guess my advise is to stress the I/O and see if it will lock up.=20
I did a 'dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D2gb bs=3D1024 count=3D2048000' and then cop=
ied
the file back and forth.

Dan

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 03:36, Karl-K=C3=B6nig K=C3=B6nigsson wrote:
> I have a Dell PowerEdge 2600 on which I am running WhiteBox. I am still=20
> in the configuration stage as this box is to replace an old Mandrake=20
> installation that has been in service for four years.
>=20
> I had the most interesting crash the other day which scared me: I was=20
> backing up the system to a LTO tape drive and all of a sudden went the=20
> machine totally limb. I don't know what happened, there were no traces=20
> in the logs; it just died on me.
>=20
> Anyway, I was thinking about getting the Dell OMSA package installed and=20
> wanted to see if anyone else is using this on their servers. Any tips on=20
> installation and suchlikes are most welcome.
>=20
> Oh, and if anyone can help me shed som light on the crash I'd be more=20
> than thankful. Ample compensation, like insane wealth, virgins or=20
> promises of firstborns can be discussed... :-)
>=20
>=20
> Cheers!
>=20
>     Karl-Koenig Koenigsson
--=20
-----------------------
Daniel T. Gynn
RHCE #806200978201621
Essential Systems, Inc.
412-931-5403 ext. 1
fax: 412-931-5425
dan.gynn@essensys.com
GnuPG Key http://www.essensys.com/~dan/gpgring.asc
Fingerprint: 0979 73B8 847A 349E 7363  66F4 6A79 DD72 495D CD60

--=-LePMt0hZWIzihNeqiYUo

--=-LePMt0hZWIzihNeqiYUo--