[WBEL-users] RH 9.0 to Whitebox 3.0?

Phil Schaffner Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov
Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:19:12 -0400

On Wed, 2004-04-28 at 13:27, Rex Dieter wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Michael Cozzi wrote:
> >     Yeesh- I'm a RedHat fan.... but why didn't they make an upgrade path
> > for us users? It just seems damned stupid they didn't.
>
> Like rh90 -> fc1 ?

RH9 -> FC1 works very well.  It's just a bit too dynamic a platform for
servers IMHO.

Seems like this non-support for upgrades is a consequence of the new Red
Hat business model - concentrating on enterprise users and selling
support services rather than software.  They were loosing money trying
to support all the various distributions and believed they had to make
changes to stay in business.  Supporting a potentially problematic
upgrade from one "fork" to another (RHL -> RHEL) arguably makes less
business sense than requiring a fresh (and more cleanly supportable)
install, although many old RHL customers feel a bit miffed, as I was
before hearing their business case (been using/buying their products
both personally and professionally since RH 3.0).

I'm glad to see Red Hat support for FC community development, tolerance
for WBEL and other RHEL rebuilds, and wish them well as a profitable
example of an open source business.

Phil