[WBEL-users] Library Management Software

Vicki Reeves vickir@beau.org
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:00:04 -0500

Daniel J. Summers (or someone in this discussion) wrote:
>>> I know of at least one library that uses WBEL.  :)  Do any of you
>>> know what software package they (or any other library) would use
>>> under Linux?  I'm working on setting something up for a school.

For many years, we've been using a homegrown automation package using
the Unify RDBMS.  It's a bunch of SQL scripts tied together with shell
commands. We wrote it PJ (pre-John) so it's not real purty... but it
works.  In fact, our staff is very, very, very spoiled to having a
system that does what they ask for and not completely happy that we're
talking change.

Unify is now very expensive, our version is seriously outdated, and we
need a higher level of MARC compliance so we've been looking at other
solutions for a few years.  It looks like both Koha and Athena have
potential.  If either of them were working with PostgreSQL we'd probably
be heading that direction.  Both John and I would like to work on an
open source library automation system.

But what we'd like to work on and what is realistic for our library are
sometimes two different things.  We're a very busy, multi-branch library
system.  Our info tech dept is small and we have lots of projects going.

So, we've found what we feel is a good compromise.  We'll soon be doing
beta testing with BookSystem's Atriuum Software.  While the system is
not open source, Atriuum's database engine is PostgreSQL.  And, of
course it runs on WBEL :)

http://www.booksys.com/products-atriuum.php

If anyone gets involved in an open source library automation system,
please let us know.

This is me:
Vicki Reeves          vickir@beau.org        http://www.beau.org/~vickir

This is where I work:
Beauregard Parish Library                        http://library.beau.org
205 South Washington Ave, DeRidder, LA 70634           (337)463-6217 x19
  The Library does not necessarily agree with everything I write :-D

Geek code 3.1:GIT d? s-:++ a? C++ L++$ W++ w-- Y+ b+ G e r+++

                              <><