[WBEL-users] Transfering Windows 2000 Active directory system to Samba

jamaguy jamaguy@nervesync.com
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 16:16:22 -0700

 From the "Bruce Parens' Open Source Series" collection: "Samba-3 by
Example: Practical Exercises to Successful Deployment" (2004) has a
chapter specifically on Actuve Directory, Kerberos and LDAP (Chapter 10)
that sounds like a match for your needs.  The book as a whole is very
useful.  I highly recommend it as a purchase, circa 45USD (the
accompanying CD has the cfg's and scripts from the book, which covers
Samba via a fictional story of a company that grows up from a small
office lan to a multi-homed enviornment, discussing technical and
office-political considerations).  Of course the techie who builds the
first file network LAN in Chapt 2 ends up running the company ;-).
Almost every conceivable level of design involving Samba seems to be
covered.  The link below (or Barns and Noble, Amazon, etc) has the paper
book available for online purchase.

Each book in this series will be/is being released for free download
'several months' after the publish date. "Implementing CIFS: The Common
Internet File System" and "Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide"
as well as others (RAD w/Mozilla, Snort, Webmin, more) are available in
PDF format  (and other formats) for free at [
http://www.informit.com/promotion/1041 ].

Ben