[WBEL-users] Workstations pausing

Martin Shoemaker hmspe@cableaz.com
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 07:51:40 -0700

I recently changed out a RH8.1 file server to a WBEL respin1 server.
Both run Samba and a DNS server.  The new box has a 3ware SATA hardware
RAID card running RAID5.  The only change to the Samba setup is setting
Preferred Master to Yes.  The old box was reiserfs.  The new is EXT3.
This is in a small engineering office running mostly AutoCAD.

Since the upgrade we're seeing random system hangs on all four
workstations, which are Win2K.  Typically two to four per day per
workstation.  The workstation will just stop responding for 30 seconds
or so.  The lockups random and are not synchronized among the
workstations.  We've done complete scans on the workstations (NOD32,
AdAware, Spybot S&D) and all show as clean.

Any suggestions or thoughts on what 's going on?  Also, I'd really
rather be on reiserfs based on how well it worked for us on the old
server, but I'm just getting started with linux, and "You can install it
on your own (use kernel-unsupported, then load the modules)" is beyond
my current level of understanding.  Is there a "how to" for this?  Is it
possible to update an existing ext3 system to reiserfs without risking
the existing data?

Thanks for your help.

Martin