[WBEL-users] Workstations pausing

Randy Kelsoe randykel@swbell.net
Thu, 05 Aug 2004 16:49:16 -0500

Maarten Ballintijn wrote:

>Hello,
>
>On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 15:47, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
>

>Is this still true?  How much faster is it and when?

Still true from what I have read (as recent as 7/2/04). It seems ext3's default tuning is setup to protect the data at the cost of some performance.

There is a good comparison of different journaled file systems at:

	http://oregonstate.edu/~kveton/fs/

or:

	http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0108.3/0477.html

and while you're at it:

	http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-July/msg00418.html

has some interesting info, although I can't find the start of the thread before the above post. And, finally, there is this post from Arjan van de Ven:

	http://www.redhat.com/archives/shrike-list/2003-December/msg00529.html

One of the posts mentions a 'pull the plug' test. I don't have a machine that is not on a UPS, so those tests don't mean a lot to me. I have used reiserfs a while back and experienced corruption. The repair tool was not yet available, so I was dead in the water. I have used XFS and never had any problems. The only thing I didn't like about XFS was having to wait for SGI to come out with kernel updates. Their tools work very well (ie. xfsdump, xfs_repair). I am currently using ext3, just out of convenience (pronounced laziness?).