[WBEL-users] SAMBA

Fri, 06 Aug 2004 06:54:33 -0500

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 21:01, Craig White wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > >Then the user Administrator should have root equivalent.
> > >
> > >Log on to Windows machine as Administrator, password, domain_name
> > >
> > >This should give you full Administrator privileges to the machine.
> > >
> > >Start -> Settings -> Control Panels -> Administrative Tools ->
> Computer
> > >Management
> > >
> > >Groups, edit the Administrators Group (or better yet, Power Users),
> > >Click Add, Click Advanced, Click 'Find Now' You should be able to
> locate
> > >any of the 'Domain Groups' you have created.
> > >
> > >If you don't have domain groups, you will need to create them.
> you
> > >the domain groups.
> > >
> > >For Samba documentation, see www.samba.org - click on the
> documentation
> > >link, see the Samba 3 How-To
> > Thanks Craig and Johnny for your help, but I am still at a loss. I am
> > windows admin and am struggling with modifying text files to achieve
> > what I need to. I am currently using Webmin to manage Samba. After
> > playing around with it for a while, I realized that Webmin was not
> > modifying my smb.conf file at all. Is it supposed to? Maybe that is
> > where all my problems start and end. I tried to install SWAT and run
> it.
> > If I try to access it with Konqueror, I get an error saying that
> > "Connection to host localhost is broken" after logging in. I dont know
> > what that means. If I use Firefox instead, I get a blank page after
> > logging in. So I went back to smb.conf and gedit. I tried adding the
> > lines one-by-one and still no luck. I did have the line that says root
> =
> > administrator in smbusers. But still no luck. I am thinking of
> starting
> > over again from scratch and making sure that I get it right from the
> > beginning. I am refering to hughesjr.com currently. Any other docs
> that
> > are simple enuff for a part time windows admin to understand?
> ----
> If you are a windows admin, this shouldn't be all that difficult. The
> people that seem to struggle are those that really don't understand
> Microsoft Networking - Microsoft Domains.
>
> 1 - forget swat, webmin for now
> 2 - use an editor - gedit is probably OK, I don't use it.
> 3 - why not post your smb.conf to the list? - better yet, learn some
> command line methodology, it will serve you well. For example...
> su -
> smbpasswd -a Administrator
> smbpasswd Administrator
> testparm -sv > /tmp/configuration.txt
> echo "**** ***** *****" >> /tmp/configuration.txt
> echo "net groupmap list" >> /tmp/configuration.txt
> net groupmap list >> /tmp/configuration.txt
> chmod 777 /tmp/configuration.txt
>
> and then copy/paste the file into an email here.
>
> 4 - Use the real samba documentation - what other people do has to be
> taken with a grain of salt and may not be applicable.
I agree with Craig here ... My website (www.hughesjr.com) has a SAMBA
PDC guide, and it does work as written on WBEL, but it is just a
starting point.

Specifically, it only does NT type domains and roaming profiles.

I actually use that setup in production and at home, but it's
applicability is not absolute for all users.

> Documentation sources...
> <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/>
>
> Official Samba 3 How-to
> <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/>
>
> Samba 3 by Example
> <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/>
>
> These are far and away the best information available on Samba and can
> be purchased (my recommendation) or downloaded as PDF, or use the html
> links that I provided.
>
> Probably, the setup that would be most like to yours in Samba 3 by
> Example is
> <http://us1.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-Guide/Big500users.html#chap05net>

I mention all the above references and a couple more in the guide at my
website as well.  The samba website is a wealth of knowledge on the
subject.

> and in that example, it lists the line...
> passdb backend = tdbsam

i use:

passdb backend = tdbsam

as well

> no reference to secrets.tdb and I haven't a clue where you got that
> from. By now, your 'secrets.tdb' could be corrupted...you might want to
> check it with the tdbdump tool - perhaps you need to move it, delete it,
> or simply start over with all the 'config files'
>
> Craig

Johnny Hughes
HughesJR.com