[WBEL-users] Re: Athlon64 AMD64 motherboard recommendation

Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com
Fri, 6 Aug 2004 14:28:18 -0400

To be totally honest, I don't think the 2.4.x based AMD64 are acceptable
for prime time.  I have an E-machines m6805 laptop that is an AMD64, and
had trouble with Fedora, Suse, and Mandrake's 64 bit solution.  Granted,
part of that was due to the crazy crippled PST table in my BIOS, but I
felt that all three of those were sub-par.

It wasn't until I used Gentoo and a 2.6.3 kernel, that I had reasonable
success, and then with 2.6.7.  I went back to 32 bit because of lack of 64
bit drivers for my modem, ATI Radeon, and Broadcomm wireless.

64 bit support is still way too new, driver support is lacking, and even
hardware vendors are still trying to play catch up.

You could play this one of two ways.  You could go and buy the equipment
and dive in with both feet, and report your findings to the community, and
be a catalyst for others.  You can kick back, stick with what is known,
and wait until the AMD64 bit environment gets more widely used, and the
situation stabilizes.  It all depends on your situation, as to whether you
have the means (or freedom) to do the former.

=========================
Scott Mace
Systems Administrator
Travelcenters of America
440-808-4318
mace.scott@tatravelcenters.com
=========================

Bob Ramstad <rramstad@gmail.com>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
08/06/2004 01:31 PM
Please respond to
rramstad@alum.mit.edu

whitebox-users@beau.org
cc

Subject
[WBEL-users] Re: Athlon64 AMD64 motherboard recommendation

I'm surprised at the lack of response on my question...  There is an
AMD64 port of White Box Linux, so I assumed some people were running
WBL on AMD64 and would be able to offer suggestions as to appropriate
hardware choices.

Please, if you are running WBL on AMD64, I'd very much like to know
what model motherboard you are using, and what kind of compatibility
issues -- if any -- you've had.

Thanks in advance, I can find nothing on this on the Internet, either
for RHEL3 or WBL3, and I'd really like to avoid buying a whole bunch
of components only to find that they don't work well with White Box
Linux.

(As an aside, I'll be glad to share my WBL AMD64 experiences with the
list, once I get going on the project.)

-- Bob