[WBEL-users] SSH Hack/Login attempts

Jeff Maze maillists@crescentdigital.com
Mon, 9 Aug 2004 19:50:23 -0400

Hello,
	Just wanted to write to the list and thank everyone for their
replies.  I did a little digging and found the steps to configure the client
and server to use public-keys.  Looks like it's all good and runs well.
	Thanks again for the assistance.. -Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org [mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org]
On Behalf Of Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2004 7:35 AM
To: whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: Re: [WBEL-users] SSH Hack/Login attempts

You probably want to prevent logins period, except via ssh keys.  That's
your safest bet.

=========================
Scott Mace
Systems Administrator
Travelcenters of America
440-808-4318
mace.scott@tatravelcenters.com
=========================

"Jeff Maze" <maillists@crescentdigital.com> Sent by:
whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
08/08/2004 09:39 AM

<whitebox-users@beau.org>
cc

Subject
[WBEL-users] SSH Hack/Login attempts

Hello,
                 I was wondering if there's a way to block some user
names/accounts from attempting to be logged into via SSH.  Lately, over the
last week or so, I've seen a lot of login attempts via test, admin, and
guest accounts.
I have the PermitRootLogin=No in the sshd_conf file but was wondering if I
add the above mentioned accounts, they won't even get a password prompt.
                 Thanks..

Oh yea, there aren't admin, test, nor guest accounts created on the machine
but they keep trying to use them to login.