[WBEL-users] Tivoli tsm client crash

Jana Persson Jana.Persson@atg.se
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:34:43 +0200

Hello,

Has anybody here had any experience using a TSM-client (Tivoli Storage
Manager) on their system?

I have two "identical" WBEL-boxes setup here (both HP Proliant DL320).
They're setup to be backup for each other. I'm using rsync to keep the
data in sync between the machines, and have scripted automatic fallback
routines in case one of the boxes hits the dirt. I was also meaning to
implement backup facilities (from one of the boxes at a time, since
they're mirrored) to our enterprise class storage system, which happens
to be Tivoli. This is not a choice by me, but company policy.

All the same, installation and configuration of the client is no big
deal. I did this before on the previous system, which was RedHat
7.1-based, so basically all I had to do was to move the configuration
files over to the new system(s). According to all available
documentation, this should be fine.

The problem I have is that the client segfaults (signal 11) once I start
the process of backing up data. I can start the detached process which
talks to the storage manager (tsm for short), and my machine is put on
scedule just fine. But as soon as it tries to do any actual file
processing, the tsm-client crashes.

I've tried it on both boxes with identical results. I've also tried
different versions of the tsm-client (in fact 14 different versions),
and they all behave the same.

My hunch is that somehow the runtime environment does not equate to what
the tsm-client expects (no shit, Sherlock ;-). After som digging I came
up with some indications that the failing directive is a free(). That
would perhaps point to something in glibc or some compatibility add-on.

These clients are not open-source. They're binary distributed, and so
digging much deeper than this would be beyond my powers.

I would be curious to know whether anyone has had any success with tsm,
using either WBEL, RHEL or any of the other corresponding distros, like
Fermi or Tao.

Regards,
Jana Persson