[WBEL-users] LVM on RAID using diskdruid during RHEL setup

Kirby Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:39:00 -0500

On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 11:54:07AM +0300, Alex Georgiev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible during RHEL install, using
> diskdruid, to setup LVM on Software raid?
>
> I was thinking of making 2 software raid mirror1 arrays
>
> - one for /boot and
> - the other one for LVM in which to
> create additional /, /var, /var/spool, using the
> advantages of LVM.

	The short answer is yes you can do it, I believe in both modes.
I know I've done it in graphical mode.  I'm pretty sure I've done it
in text mode.

	I do it regularly using kickstart, so I know that the installer
can handle it.   I don't remember using "disk druid", but rather
that screen they've built.  I don't think it's disk druid, but I've
been wrong before.

	You can put everything except for /boot on LVM (you can put even
that on LVM if you use LILO for your boot loader, but that's
trickier then it's worth from what I hear).

	The only other consideration is if you want to put your swap on
LVM or not.  Generally, I don't, I put them on raw partitions, and
if I need more, I just add swap files to existing filesystems for
temporary needs.  However, I believe the RH startup scripts attempt
to add swap both before and after starting LVM.

	Kirby