[WBEL-users] Backup

Ed ekg@tricity.wsu.edu
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 16:17:15 -0700

Francies Moore wrote:
> First a big thank you for White Box!  It came along just in time to
> solve my two BIG problems - the end of support for WinNT and a Linux
> server version which would run on SATA.
>
> After my previous enquiry regarding Lotus Domino 6, I have successfully
> set  up test systems on WBEL, Fedora Core 1 and CentOS (my HowTo website
> coming soon).
>
> Now we have a production system on WBEL and would like to ask if  anyone
> has any suggestions as to a tape backup solution which can cope with
> open files as the server constantly opens databases as it runs.
>
> Have had quotes from Archeia and ArcServe which are just crazy - 900
> euros and 700 GBP respectively!
>
> I know I can use tar but am unsure how it copes with open files - I am
> still a newbie at this...

It doesn't: it reads them sequentially.

Somehow, you need to be able to create a "snapshot" of your database
files so that they are entirely self-consistant before they get backed
up.  This depends on your database.  What kind of database and database
program are you using?

If you're using linux lvm or evms, you can stop your database, create a
snapshot, restart your database, and back up the snapshot of the
database files while the database continues running.  This may or may
not be acceptable for your enviroment.

   Ed