[WBEL-users] Password changing overnight.

Adrian Snyman adrians@turnkey.web.za
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 12:01:37 +0200

On Monday 16 August 2004 11:38, Denis Croombs wrote:
> I have a VERY strange problem some whitebox & Redhat 9.0 system change
> their ROOT passwords overnight, (not very often) this is a real pain, any
> clues as to why it should happen ? It also has happened for a normal user
> as well but that is easier to cope with.
> I am currently helping 1 school with 8+ whitebox systems and 1 Redhat 9.0.
> This has happened 3 times in 3 weeks on the Redhat 9.0 and 4 times on
> Whitebox system over the last 4 weeks.
>
> Thanks
>
> Denis

The ONLY reason a password changes is that it gets changed intentionally ..
Check for rootkits etc. on the box .. possibly check logs for password
activity ..

--
Regards,
Adrian Snyman

/* Beat Me, Whip Me, Make me use Windows !! */