[WBEL-users] Software raid and User Mode Linux CD burning on WBEL

Bill Davidsen davidsen@tmr.com
Mon, 16 Aug 2004 15:36:22 -0400

Kirby Bohling wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 03:00:02PM -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>
>>Shackmaster wrote:
>>
>>>I'd be curious to hear about anyone's experience with software RAID on a
>>>heavily load NAS server? I have been considering the deployment of a 6TB
>>>system, with dual opterons, runing a software based RAID 6. (WBEL of
>>>course.)
>>>
>>>Can anyone speak problems with this setup? Alternatives?
>>
>>Did RH really put RAID-6 in? My only argument with any software RAID is
>>that it depends on the BIOS being able to load some things before the
>>kernel runs, and if a drive fails that may not happen. My only
>>justification for using cruddy systemboard RAID in mirror mode just to
>>boot, nothing more.
>

> Huh? Grub groks mirrors if you tell it to.  I've got my boot disk on
> a mirror.  If it crashes, can be sorta painful that I have to go
> fiddle with the BIOS to ignore the first drive.

Which is why I use the BIOS RAID, because I don't have to fiddle with
anything to boot. I can get a pair of cheap drives for <$100 and put my
/boot on them. Makes me sleep better at night working out of town a lot.
It doesn't do much good to use mirror if the system doesn't fail over.

--
    -bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)