[WBEL-users] Password changing overnight.

Graham Waring liverbird89@hotmail.com
Tue, 17 Aug 2004 12:24:14 +1000

G'day all,

I agree here, in my 8 years experience in linux I have not had a root
password change itself.....not yet anyway...but never discount anything!  My
money is on some smart-arse changing it for you.  To identify the smart-arse
check the usuall output of last and history and also have a look at
/var/log/wtmp.  (You probably do this anyway but) cd to /var/log and run
tmpdump wtmp and check its useful output.  Your issue could be a major pain
if you are remote and going into single user to change the root password
involves a 2 hour drive and grub is password protected too!  If you have
remote access, firstly disable root login via ssh so you have to go in as a
normal user and then su to root, then ensure the logs for su are just you
and not someone else.  Another suggestion (which is not really advisable but
may help on an occaision or two) create a special user account and change
its user id and group id to 0 in the /etc/passwd.  Then if you try to su to
root and the password has changed, just su to your special user account and
then change the root password.  You then run into the posibility of the
smart-arse changing this accounts password too :(

Good luck
Graham