[WBEL-users] re: SCSI tape drives woes

Bob Ramstad rramstad@alum.mit.edu
Mon, 23 Aug 2004 17:17:49 -0700

I ended up pulling the ASUS PCI-SC200 rev 1.1 board I had in the box
and replacing it with a rev 1.2 board.  Oddly, kudzu detected it as if
it were new hardware and never did a remove on the previous board
version.  The modprobe messages went away, and the tape drive is
working fine.

My theory, and it's just a guess, is that kudzu never saw the SCSI
board properly and so the devices weren't set up.  Once kudzu saw the
SCSI board and I told it to configure the board, everything was fine.

I probably could have gotten the same results by pulling the board,
booting, shutting down, and putting the board back in, but it's
working and so I'm not going to frotz with it anymore.

Just thought I'd post the "solution" such as it is in case someone
else runs into a similar problem...

-- Bob