[WBEL-users] local mirror without rsync using yum and lftp

Randy Kelsoe randykel@swbell.net
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 07:58:31 -0500

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) wrote:

>I am in the process of setting up a local mirror but I will not be able to
>use rsync to get the files due to the firewalls. I could change the
>firewalls rules but this requires weeks of technical review meetings and
>configuration control board meetings so instead I decided to use lftp's
>mirror ability.

I don't understand how you can use lftp and yum through the firewall,
but not rsync. If you were setting up a rsync server, then you would
need to punch holes in the firewall.  Have you tried something like this:

rsync ks.physics.ncsu.edu::whitebox/3.0/en/updates/

to see if it gets through the firewall? If this works, you should be
able to use rsync to setup your local mirror. I have no holes for rsync
in my firewall, and this works fine for me.