[WBEL-users] local mirror without rsync using yum and lftp

King, John (Greg) (LMIT-HOU) Greg.King@lmit.com
Wed, 25 Aug 2004 09:13:29 -0500

Yeah I did try that and then monitored the trusted to untrusted firewall log
data. All were denied. We are pretty restrictive on any connections.
Basically deny all in, deny all out unless documented and approved at
various meetings.

The reason I can use yum and lftp is because yum is using ftp mirrors and
lftp is using ftp as well and ftp is allowed out. Whereas rsync uses port
873 which is not explicitly allowed out.

But it seems to have worked out fine. I used lftp to mirror one of the
mirrors, then reconfigured a test box's yum.conf file to use the mirror I
created with the updates. Yum worked, as did the rpm download and update.

Greg