[WBEL-users] DHCP and firewall script

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 19:59:12 -0500

On Wed, 2004-08-25 at 10:40, Jean LEE wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am connected through the Internet via an ADSL connection and I have
> an Ethernet modem connected to eth1. I obtain an IP-adress dynamically
> via DHCP.
> Moreover, I am using a script (which implements a Firewall and
> masquerading with iptables) which detects automatically this dynamic
> IP-address but I have to run this script every time a new IP-adress is
> given to eth1.
>
> When do I have to launch this script ? only at startup or after too ?
You should only have to run the script at startup ... IPs don't normally
change until the next time you start your PC.

> What is the DHCP client that WBEL uses?
You will want to use the ADSL section of "redhat-config-network" to make
WBEL startup and obtain an IP address if you are connecting directly to
the modem with your Ethernet Card and if you have PPPOE.
> Where can I launch this script ?
You can call the script from /etc/rc.d/rc.local ... and it will run
after the network has been started.
> Does this DHCP-client as a startup file like /etc/ppp/ip-up for PPP
> connections
If you use redhat-config-network you should be able to add an ADSL
connection.

Here is a link:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-network-config-xdsl.html

> Thanks for any help.