[WBEL-users] RE: Whitebox-users digest, Vol 1 #389 - 16 msgs

JJ jscott@cpinternet.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 17:55:45 -0500

The /etc/redhat-release is to maintain compability for apps / scripts that
use this file to detirmine the specific os / version that you are running.

In the case of the HP scripts to install & start the agents, if this file
does not exist or if the data in it is unknown to the scripts the install
will not work or the management agents do not start.

Actually, I have a file in /etc named something like release-RHEL3 which
contains the RHEL info.

Then I make sure that there is a link to it from /etc/redhat-release ( some
of the updates have over written the redhat-release file with the
whitebox-release info, this way I can just re-link it if it changes...)

echo "Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 2)"
/etc/release-RHEL3

ln -s /etc/release-RHEL3 /etc/redhat-release

cat /etc/redhat-release

J.J.