[WBEL-users] Odd WhiteBox linux behaviour moving files from W2K machine

Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com Vincent.Raffensberger@dtn.com
Thu, 26 Aug 2004 23:28:57 -0500

--=_alternative 0018CF5086256EFD_=

I routinely share large files between XP and Witebox systems without any
trouble (or bizarre mount options).
Have you verified that the smb mount options were the same on both the
Whitebox and Mandrake systems?
Perhaps the default mount options on the two systems differ.
Compare /proc/self/mounts on both to check.

Amit Joshi <ajoshi@optonline.net>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
08/26/2004 09:49 PM

"Whitebox-Users@Beau. Org" <whitebox-users@beau.org>
cc

Subject
[WBEL-users] Odd WhiteBox linux behaviour moving files from W2K machine

Hello,

I had a large file on my W2K machine (over 4G). I tried to scp the file to
the WhiteBox machine and  the file on the WhiteBox machine was only 600M
in
size (I tried using Cygwin and Putty). I shared the laptop directory with
the file, mounted it using smbmount (no options other than the username=
and
ro). Did an ls -l on the file and the file showed up as 600M (even though
the Windows Explorer on the windows side still showed it as 4G). Have not
tried rsync though.

Did the same smbmount from a different linux machine running Mandrake 10
on
a Pentium and presto, ls showed the file as over 4G, I copied the file
over
to the Mandrake machine and from there scp'ed it to the WhiteBox machine
and
it was still over 4G.

The file was a gzipped, large Oracle export (uncompressed the file size
was
ovr 30G). Having successfully installed Oracle 9.2.0.4 (AMD64) we are now
trying to get data into it to test out the performance and behaviour (so
far
the results have been very good).

Anybody with any ideas why this happened? Why should the file show up as
smaller when moved directly from the Windows machine to the Whitebox
machine
but the correct size when moved first to the Mandrake machine and then to
the Whitebox box? My concern is whether I can trust files moved from
Windows
machines to the WhiteBox machines.

Thanks,

Amit Joshi

--=_alternative 0018CF5086256EFD_=

XP and Witebox systems without any trouble (or bizarre mount options).</font>
options were the same on both the Whitebox and Mandrake systems?</font>
the two systems differ. &nbsp;</font>
check.</font>
Org&quot; &lt;whitebox-users@beau.org&gt;</font>
linux behaviour moving files from W2K machine</font></table>
I had a large file on my W2K machine (over 4G). I tried to scp the file
to<br>
the WhiteBox machine and &nbsp;the file on the WhiteBox machine was only
600M in<br>
size (I tried using Cygwin and Putty). I shared the laptop directory with<br>
the file, mounted it using smbmount (no options other than the username=
and<br>
ro). Did an ls -l on the file and the file showed up as 600M (even though<br>
the Windows Explorer on the windows side still showed it as 4G). Have not<br>
tried rsync though.<br>
Did the same smbmount from a different linux machine running Mandrake 10
on<br>
a Pentium and presto, ls showed the file as over 4G, I copied the file
over<br>
to the Mandrake machine and from there scp'ed it to the WhiteBox machine
and<br>
it was still over 4G.<br>
The file was a gzipped, large Oracle export (uncompressed the file size
was<br>
ovr 30G). Having successfully installed Oracle 9.2.0.4 (AMD64) we are now<br>
trying to get data into it to test out the performance and behaviour (so
far<br>
the results have been very good).<br>
Anybody with any ideas why this happened? Why should the file show up as<br>
smaller when moved directly from the Windows machine to the Whitebox machine<br>
but the correct size when moved first to the Mandrake machine and then
to<br>
the Whitebox box? My concern is whether I can trust files moved from Windows<br>
machines to the WhiteBox machines.<br>
Thanks,<br>
Amit Joshi<br>