[WBEL-users] Samba Under WBEL

Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:32:48 -0500

On Sun, 2004-08-29 at 11:52, George Salt wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I noticed that WB ships with Samba 3.0.4-6, while the
> latest version is 3.06.  Also, there is no Samba-SWAT.
>
> I tried to update via rpm - that failed due to failed
> library dependencies.  Can't install the required
> libraries because the version required by the rpm
> conflicts with the version that is currently
> installed.
>
> I downloaded the source for Samba 3.0.6 - it seemed to
> compile/make/install with no errors; yet, I'm still
> running 3.0.4-6.  I tried to nuke the older version
> with rpm -e; that failed due to dependencies.
Ok, I downloaded the SRPM file (
http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/RedHat/SRPMS/samba-3.0.6-1.src.rpm ).

I rebuilt the SRPM file with the command:

rpmbuild --rebuild samba-3.0.6-1.src.rpm

(you will need the package rpm-build installed)

That produced a file named samba-3.0.6-1.i386.rpm (in
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/).

I installed the program with the command:

rpm -Uvh samba-3.0.6-1.i386.rpm

> Could someone explain how to get Samba 3.0.6 with SWAT
> running under WB?

Once the update was completed, I had to edit the file:

/etc/xinetd.d/swat

and change the line:

disable = yes

disable = no