[WBEL-users] SASL with LDAP Support

Richard Petty Richard Petty <repetty@austin.rr.com>
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:51:07 -0600

Vic wrote:

> Re: [WBEL-users] SASL with LDAP Support
> From:
> "Vic" <whitebox@beer.org.uk>
> Date:
> Wed, 1 Dec 2004 00:53:36 -0000 (GMT)
>

>>I hate to spoil my system RPM database consistency by compiling my own
>>stuff on the side but if I have no choice...
>>

>You do have a choice.
>
>If the prebuilt RPMs don't do what you want, why not grab the source RPMs,
>modify as necessary (probably just change the spec file), and build them?
>That'll keep your RPM database up together...

Since I hadn't messed with RPM's before (besides installing them); I
didn't consider this an option. Kirby had mentioned doing this, too, and
I actually enjoyed trying it out last night.

I grabbed the SRPM, created a directory for it and installed it. I
edited the spec file, adding a "--with-ldap=<the path>" config option,
changed the RPM name and added a requirement for openldap (just trying
to be thorough), and built a binary RPM. I installed the binary RPM and
there was no functional change, which was kinda good in a way.

I did a ldd on the saslauthd executable but didn't see anything about
ldap in the output, which is bad.

Now I'm considering using MySQL for a backend instead of LDAP.

--Richard