[WBEL-users] iptables - where and how to insert the rules ?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling@birddog.com
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:00:47 -0600

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 12:07:01PM +0000, Mário Gamito wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running a development server based on WBEL, with a few
> iptables rules, because i don't want no one except the development team
> to access it.
>
> Well, i have this executable, rc.firewall in /etc, being called form
> /etc/rc.local
>
> I believe this is not the right thing (TM) to do, although it works.
>
> From what i saw in iptables ctl, the rules should be in
> /etc/sysconfig/iptables, right ?
> But when i insert them in that file, i always get an error from
> "/etc/init.d/iptables start", saying it doesn't recognize the text.
>
> Any help about how it should be done ?

At the end of this thread you get pointed in the right general
direction.  The easiest way to deal with this is to set the firewall
rules exactly the way you want them.  Then run:

# service iptables save
# chkconfig iptables on

(remove rc.firewall from rc.local)

Now reboot.  You should see that everything is configured exactly
the way had it before.

	Thanks,
		Kirby