[WBEL-users] Dell: Red Hat needs to lower prices

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 09:23:01 -0500 (EST)

Not really the place for your rant, but a correction.

John Hinton said:
[snip]
> One can buy once, a Microsoft server package for about what
> Redhat wants for two years of RHEL. At the end of that two years the M$
> package is yours. At the end of that two years you are still paying every
> year of the RH package.

Wrong.  There is nothing that says you can't buy RHEL with the year of
updates, then after that year stop your RHN subscription and roll your own
updates.

> We have about 12 servers online now. We need bind on
> them.

There is nothing stopping you from rolling your own bind (or using one
from a clone project).  The bind part wouldn't be supported, but neither
are the RHEL clones.

> That puts us into the $349 per year subscription. That's $4,188.00
> per year.

And as I always have to ask:  Did you even bother to call sales and see
where their volume discounts start?

--
William Hooper