[WBEL-users] Building My own Updates.

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 11:39:22 -0500 (EST)

[NICK] said:
> Hi,
>

> There's lots of discussions about updates and how timely their turn
> around is.
>
> A common answer is: "Build your own from source", but I'm struggling
> to find a document describing how to do this. .. I've seen john's "how to"
> , but isn't that for if you want to re-create the installation
> medium ?

Well, the first step to re-creating the installation medium is to rebuild
all of the SRPMS, so it does apply.

> I've had a think about what I need to do......
>

> (0) Install WBEL on a server, tick all the development tool's boxes in
> the installatin gui.
> (1) wget
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/*
> (2) Set up a RPM build directory like so {
> http://www.fedoranews.org/tchung/rpmbuild/ ... please excuse the
> fedora reference ;-)  }
> (3) rpm -ivh all of the foo.src.rpm get by wget
> (4) rpmbuild -ba ~/rpmbuild/SPECS/*.spec

I assume here you are doing these one at a time and just saving time by
typing the wildcards?

> (5) Learn about setting up a yum repo ;-) to point
> /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources to
> (6) cron wget
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/os/i386/SRPMS/
> [NOTE not *]
> (7) cron md5sum the index.html generated by 6

Interesting idea to see if anything has changed.  I'm not sure if it would
work as written, but wget should be able to generate a listing file for
you.

> (8) if md5sum changes.....get everything? and rebuild. (wget ~/SRPMS/*
> & rpm ivh & rpmbuild)

Why get and rebuild everything when only one or two SRPMS change?

--
William Hooper