[WBEL-users] Dell: Red Hat needs to lower prices

Paul subsolar@subsolar.org
Wed, 08 Dec 2004 13:09:09 -0600

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 08:22 -0500, John Hinton wrote:
<SNIP>
> I believe Dell couldn't consider the clones of RedHat for two reasons.
> One, they need to strike a deal with a company to insure the continued
> support of the software Dell is selling and setting up on their
> machines. Two, I think they are predicting bad times ahead for RedHat,
> and if RedHat suffers from bad times, so will all the RHEL clones to
> some degree.

Well they have already signed an agreement with Novell/SuSE to sell SEL
9 on some of their servers.  The annual support through DELL is $140/Yr
for a single CPU box and $270 for dual (vs $900 for support from SuSE).
Probably DELL is looking for some wiggle room to sign a deal where DELL
provides the support and RH just gets a small cut.

> The fact that WBEL and the clones exist, is testiment to the fact that
<SNIP>
> of money for something which is available for free is going to fly here.
> I was actually headed off to Debian when Whitebox came along.

I was investigating SuSE and Debian as an option ... I like WBEL since
it's more like what I'm used to and there still is a larger variety of
pre-compiled packages for it.

Regards,
Paul Berger