[WBEL-users] Building My own Updates.

Rafael Baquero S. rbaqueros@yahoo.com.mx
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 20:22:09 -0600

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 12:45, Joshua Weage wrote:
> You'll need to install the lostRPMS too, they are on disk 1.
>
> For updates, I recommend the following:
>
> wget doesn't do a true mirror (I think).  rsync is the best option, but
> you could also look at ftpmirror.py or lftp.  If you use one of these,
> configure it to delete old files in your local SRPMS update repository.

If I recall correctly wget does not delete files that do not exist on the
remote side so it is not a true mirroring tool (it was not meant to be one
either). The disadvantage of deleting old files based upon the listing of the
remote server is that if someone makes a mistake and deletes all or some
files that he should not delete then THOSE FILES WILL END UP BEING DELETED
FROM YOUR SYSTEM ALSO. This has happened before (check past postings).

Personally I prefer to keep old files or move them to a separate directory
locally (i.e. using a local script to verify packagename/version).