[WBEL-users] attempt to write beyond end of device

Syv Ritch whitebox@911networks.com
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 14:47:34 -0800

Hi,

The server froze a couple of nights ago. No reaction to the keyboard,
but the scroll lock, num lock and caps lock keys where flashing.

The only way to restart was to press the reset button.

The only error that I got in /var/log/messages was:

kernel: attempt to write beyond end of drive
kernel: 03:03: rw=0,want=0,limit=1541437675

This looks like at the end of the backup. I have a SCSI tape AIC7xxx
The tape drive is almost new [less than 6 month]. Last night the same
tape drive and same tape did run OK.

The backup is 45 gig, the tape is 80 gig native.

I have googled around and the only things that I found where old
relating to kernel 2.2 and early 2.4 and there were some patches.

Yum update is to the latest.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

--
Thanks