[WBEL-users] How can I cloning a freshly tweaked system?

Andrew Vong andrewvong@finpress.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:12:46 +0800

Dear All,

I've installed WBEL on a couple of servers and have spent some time and
effort configuring them and tweaking them. Right now, they're running
sweet! :)

Here's my concerns and motivation. I'm afraid that a perfectly running
system would one day just decide to die on me or worse, my server gets
compromised or some disaster could/would strike me when I least expect it.
I'd like to be prepared for it.

Rather than reformat, reinstall, configure and re-tweak the system which
could take me a good couple of weeks or so, can I somehow make a clone of
the HDD of a freshly installed and fully tweaked & optimized WBEL server?
Then store the clone/image somewhere else. That way, when disaster strikes,
I can just duplicate the clone back onto a new HDD slot it back into the
server, copy latest backed-up /home files into it and I'll be up and
running again.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew