[WBEL-users] How can I cloning a freshly tweaked system?

Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com Mace.Scott@tatravelcenters.com
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:14:19 -0500

--=_alternative 004E361885256F6A_=

Mondorescue.  We have been using that for quite a while now, and it works
very well.  You can use CDR, DVDR, tape, NFS, SAMBA, to save your image
to.  It will recreate the partitions even on different size drives, and
handles software RAID and LVM flawlessly.  And more importantly, Hugo
Rabson is very good about getting back to the mailing list with support.
He only asks that you first try to help yourself, and send log files with
your questions.

http://www.mondorescue.org

=========================
Scott Mace
Security Administrator
Travelcenters of America
440-808-4318
mace.scott@tatravelcenters.com
=========================

Andrew Vong <andrewvong@finpress.com>
Sent by: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
12/14/2004 01:12 AM

whitebox-users@beau.org
cc

Subject
[WBEL-users] How can I cloning a freshly tweaked system?

Dear All,

I've installed WBEL on a couple of servers and have spent some time and
effort configuring them and tweaking them. Right now, they're running
sweet! :)

Here's my concerns and motivation. I'm afraid that a perfectly running
system would one day just decide to die on me or worse, my server gets
compromised or some disaster could/would strike me when I least expect it.

I'd like to be prepared for it.

Rather than reformat, reinstall, configure and re-tweak the system which
could take me a good couple of weeks or so, can I somehow make a clone of
the HDD of a freshly installed and fully tweaked & optimized WBEL server?
Then store the clone/image somewhere else. That way, when disaster
strikes,
I can just duplicate the clone back onto a new HDD slot it back into the
server, copy latest backed-up /home files into it and I'll be up and
running again.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Andrew

--=_alternative 004E361885256F6A_=

that for quite a while now, and it works very well. &nbsp;You can use CDR,
DVDR, tape, NFS, SAMBA, to save your image to. &nbsp;It will recreate the
partitions even on different size drives, and handles software RAID and
LVM flawlessly. &nbsp;And more importantly, Hugo Rabson is very good about
getting back to the mailing list with support. &nbsp;He only asks that
you first try to help yourself, and send log files with your questions.</font>
=========================<br>
Scott Mace<br>
Security Administrator<br>
Travelcenters of America<br>
440-808-4318<br>
mace.scott@tatravelcenters.com<br>
=========================</font>
tweaked system?</font></table>
Dear All,<br>
I've installed WBEL on a couple of servers and have spent some time and
effort configuring them and tweaking them. Right now, they're running <br>
sweet! :)<br>
Here's my concerns and motivation. I'm afraid that a perfectly running
system would one day just decide to die on me or worse, my server gets
compromised or some disaster could/would strike me when I least expect
it. <br>
I'd like to be prepared for it.<br>
Rather than reformat, reinstall, configure and re-tweak the system which
could take me a good couple of weeks or so, can I somehow make a clone
of <br>
the HDD of a freshly installed and fully tweaked &amp; optimized WBEL server?
Then store the clone/image somewhere else. That way, when disaster strikes,
I can just duplicate the clone back onto a new HDD slot it back into the
server, copy latest backed-up /home files into it and I'll be up and <br>
running again.<br>
Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated.<br>
Thanks in advance.<br>
Regards,<br>
Andrew<br>