[WBEL-users] grep help

William Hooper whooperhsd2@earthlink.net
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:51:30 -0500 (EST)

Timothy Nash said:
[snip]
> It works for me on my linux box as well.  A friend of mine asked me this
> question - not sure exactly what he's trying to do.  I just found out he's
> using Solaris.  Anyone know why Solaris treats periods differently than
> Linux.

Nope, but...

> When he issues any of the following commands:
>

> grep -w "hostname" hosts
> grep -w 'hostname' hosts
> grep -w hostname hosts

These commands are correct to return both lines (and in the original
example, all 4 lines).  The command that works is:

grep hostname$ hosts

This works because the "$" is a metacharacter that means "at the end of a
line".  Perhaps the Solaris grep is a different version?

--
William Hooper