[WBEL-users] grep help

Jon Lewis jlewis@lewis.org
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 01:00:43 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, William Hooper wrote:

> Timothy Nash said:
> [snip]
> > grep hostname$ hosts returns all 4 entries
>
> On WBEL or Solaris?  As I showed earlier, it works on WBEL for me.  What
> does "grep -V" output?  Is it different between Solaris and WBEL?

Is it different? :)
I'm a few versions behind in Solaris familiarity, but they didn't used to
use much (anything?) in the way of GNU utils...so you can pretty much
bet that any utils on a Solaris box will have some limited / perhaps
different subset of features the GNU equivalents found on most Linux
distros have.

$ grep -V
grep: illegal option -- V
Usage: grep -hblcnsviw pattern file . . .

The original poster's friend's problems might be solved by installation of
GNU utils.

 Jon Lewis                   |  I route
 Atlantic Net                |