[WBEL-users] Problem with up2date

Shapiro, Mark mshapiro@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU
Mon, 20 Dec 2004 14:20:00 -0800

I've also noticed that when up2date finds a large number of packages to
update, that it hangs at the resolving dependencies stage.  I have been
able to work around this by downloading the packages in groups of 10 or
20.

Dr. Mark H. Shapiro
Professor of Physics, Emeritus
California State University, Fullerton
Phone: 714 278-3884
FAX: 714 278-5810
email: mshapiro@fullerton.edu
web: http://chaos.fullerton.edu/Shapiro.html
travel and family pictures:
http://community.webshots.com/user/mhshapiro

-----Original Message-----
From: whitebox-users-admin@beau.org
[mailto:whitebox-users-admin@beau.org] On Behalf Of William Hooper
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 1:45 PM
To: whitebox-users@beau.org
Subject: RE: [WBEL-users] Problem with up2date

Please send replies to the list.

Michael St. Laurent said:

> It downloaded the headers then sat for more than an hour at the
resolving
>  dependencies screen.  This is on a 2GHz machine that wasn't doing
> anything else.

It's been a while since I've use the GUI, but I believe up2date will
download additional headers while resolving dependencies (I haven't
looked
to see if the first run is just the headers.info).  I haven't really
taken
the time to track it down, but on every machine I've used up2date with a
yum repo, it will at some point it will download every header in the
repo.

Again, I suggest using strace against the process to see what is going
on.
 If it is updating headers you should be able to see the http requests.

--
William Hooper