[WBEL-users] Switch over to APT

Edward Rudd eddie@omegaware.com
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 21:27:43 -0500

On Mon, 2004-12-27 at 20:52, Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 08:28:04PM -0500, Edward Rudd wrote:

> Can you qualify "SOOO long" into a literal time (30 seconds, 10
> minutes, an hour, several days?)  I'm known people who depending on
> the operation, "SOOO long" could have meant any of those.  It's hard
> to tell if you are having real problems, or if you have unrealistic
> expectations.

approximately 10-20 minutes per yum operation. even tried to get it to
STOP updatting from the network (yum -C) as it seemed to update more
stuff every time it bounced on a different mirror. Now this was on a
P166 w/ 80MB of ram. the first major "yum update" took nearly an hour.

Apt, however run quite fast on this box with <1minute update and startup
times < 30 seconds.

> That is on a pretty fast machine.  I wish that getting the headers
> went faster.  Even over a local network it can be irritating because
> you have to wait for a lot of headers you don't need (it's building
> and tearing down too many network connections is my guess, via rsync
> the headers transfer quickly, via yum they go slower).  I
> periodically run into this when I use an alternative configuration
> to connect to DAG for some packages over the Internet, it can take
> 10 minutes to get all the headers from DAG just so I can install the
> two packages I knew I needed to begin with.

got to love apts compressed package list.. Yeah, you have to download
the entire package list when one package is updated in the repository.
but it's still quite fast as there isn't a tear up time for EACH header
as in yum.

> That's frustrating, but if I use DAG frequently, or if I just
> scripted up yum to run in the middle of the night, it wouldn't be an
> issue (just script YUM to do "yum check-update", so it has current
> headers any time you start to use yum).  It hasn't been so
> irritating that I felt the need to switch.

I agree w/ the runnig update in the middle of the night, going to have
my apt's do that. but the issue with yum was that it does the check
EVERY time you run it. (which can be a good thing, if it didn't take so
long for the app to run). For me the annoyances of yum have pushed me to
get my own apt mirror.. Once I get all my custom RPMS updated I'll
probably be pushing them out for everyone to use in both apt and yum (as
repo-janitor builds both sets of meta data)

--
Edward Rudd <eddie@omegaware.com>
Website http://www.outoforder.cc/