[WBEL-users] updating the kernel

William Warren hescominsoon@emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 06:55:51 -0500

i apologize for my atrocious grammar.

William Warren wrote:

> when i run either wbel or centos i jsut type yum update and it installs
> the new kernel.  Then all i have to do is reboot. updating a kernel IMO
> is not a good idea.  IF soemthing goes wrong you have no fallback.  With
> a kernel install if it goes wacy you reboot and select hte previous
> kernel and you are back up and running.
>
> Kirby C. Bohling wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 10:56:21PM -0500, John wrote:
>>
>>> i downloaded the entire mailing list archive and have been searching
>>> through it.  I could only seem to find a few references to updating
>>> the kernel.  i used the techniques posted by
>>> marcel.gsteiger@milprog.ch on oct. 6th 2004 to get yum working for
>>> package updates.  (his edits on the two python files), however i
>>> still cannot seem to get the kernel to update. if i type 'yum update
>>> kernel' it still does not update the kernel.  perhaps i am doing
>>> something wrong here?  i did not install X, gnome, or kde....i don't
>>> see how that could affect anything but figured i'd mention it.  the
>>> few times i tried up2date it would say to type "rpm --install (etc
>>> etc.) which afterwards i would type and it would give me the same
>>> message as if i never had typed it...
>>

>> John,
>>
>>     Uhhh, I'm confused.  I have done this on any number of machines:
>>
>> # yum update
>> It runs like a champ even when there is a kernel available.  Now,
>> one of the things it does is cleverly installs (not updates) your
>> kernel.  I have no idea what edits he made to the two python files,
>> but I'm fairly sure they aren't necessary.  You really want to
>> install new kernels not update them.  If something goes wrong, or
>> you do something silly, you want to be able to use your boot loader
>> to get to the older kernels.
>>
>> I'm fairly sure I've done "yum update kernel", but I can't swear to
>> it.  I did "yum update" earlier today when a kernel was available.
>> About the only thing I can think of if someone added it to the
>> explicit exclude list in "/etc/yum.conf" (I know old RedHat up2date
>> type utilities had specific configuration to exclude kernel packages).
>>
>> It would be helpful if you sent in the output of these commands run
>> as root:
>>
>> rpm -q kernel
>> yum check-update
>> yum info "kernel"
>>
>> The first one will tell the full version of the RPM package named
>> "kernel".  The second one will tell you what if anything yum wants
>> to update.  The third will tell you about the various packages named
>> "kernel" that yum can find.  It'd also be helpful to see the
>> contents of /etc/yum.conf if you have changed it from the RPM'ed
>> version.
>>
>> That at least should start go generate enough clues to start to
>> diagnose the problem.
>>     Thanks,
>>         Kirby

My "Foundation" verse:
Isa 54:17  No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper;
and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou
shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD,
and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

-- carpe ductum -- "Grab the tape"
CDTT (Certified Duct Tape Technician)